My paintings embody my optimism and my enthusiasm for life – my joie de vivre.
I use various media – oil, acrylic, gouache, watercolour, pen & wash, pastels and oil – to portray:
• The vibrancy, theatre and personality of urban life
• The freedom of landscape and seascape
• The pattern and humanity of allotments and beaches
• The colour and magic of people and parties
• The warmth of bars, restaurants, and domestic life including cats
I use an imaginative use of colour and a constructive draughtsmanship to realise these objectives.
Amongst artists who influence me are: the Scottish Colourists and their successors, Raoul Dufy, Paul Klee, Paul Cezanne, the Impressionists
Places, Inspiration and Subjects
Places that have given me inspiration and subjects include Paris, Bordeaux, Cap Ferret, Provence, Amsterdam, Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany, The Italian Lakes, Lisbon, Vienna, Prague, Hong Kong, Sydney, New York, Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Chicago, Pennsylvania, Dublin, Edinburgh, the Isle of Skye, London, Cornwall, Chile and Argentina; and, of course, my home in Winchester, the Solent, the South Downs and Glyndebourne.
The exhibitions I have had include ones at: the Agora Gallery, New York, the Winchester Guildhall (2); The Winchester Discovery Centre; the Minster (formerly Maltby) Gallery, Winchester (2); the Angelus Gallery at Winchester College; the Salisbury Playhouse (3); Alton; Lewes (2); and Cheltenham.
In addition to original paintings my work is available through limited and open edition artist quality prints, Christmas cards, and post cards.
How to Buy
My work can be seen and acquired through:
• This website – paintings, all prints, Christmas cards
• The Minster Gallery (www.minstergallery.com), Winchester – recent paintings not on this website. I am a gallery artist.
• Kingsgate Books and Prints (www.kingsgatebooksandprints.co.uk)
• Making an appointment to visit me in Winchester. Please email Josephine through the Contact Page.
My commissions have included the first publicity illustrations for the Winchester Christmas Market, a painting for Hampshire County Council’s ‘Equality & Diversity’ campaign, personal Christmas cards, a 2 metre long street picture, a beer bottle label for the Hospital of St Cross, illustrations for 5 children’s stories, and many paintings including homes, gardens and weddings.
I am an art tutor. I really enjoy the Kaleidescope Art course for beginners and improvers that I run each week during term time at the Winchester Rugby Club; and, in addition, giving tailored one-to-one instruction. At whatever level, I endeavour to develop confidence and imagination through my own enthusiasm for painting.
I completed a three year training as a graphic designer at the Bristol College of Art and Design in 1974. Later, I attended painting courses in Melbourne, Roehampton, Harrogate, West Dean College, and Winchester.